High winds from Tropical Storm Isaias resulted in significant damage to trees and power lines resulting widespread power outages. Currently, there are approximately 50% of Branford customers without power. Eversource crews are responding to power outages.
- Assume that all downed power lines are live.
- If you see a downed wire, call Eversource at 800-286-2000 or 911 to report it. Stay as far away as possible until Eversource arrives to make the area safe.
- Stay clear of all fallen tree limbs and electrical wires as well as anything they are touching—such as puddles and metal fences.
- If you have to drive, watch out for trees and wires in the roadway. Do not drive across a downed power line. Treat all nonworking traffic lights as stop signs and proceed cautiously at intersections.
- If you have lost power please report it directly to Eversource by calling 800-286-2000 or by using the following link: https://www.eversource.com/customercare/ReportOutage
- If all of your neighbors have their power back on, but yours is still out, report your outage again by calling 800-286-2000.
- Customers are encouraged to sign up to receive storm outage updates on the channel of their choice (text, email, phone call) at www.eversource.com.
GENERATOR SAFETY – Before you use a generator, make sure it is connected by a qualified electrician. Always operate it outdoors and as far from the house as possible. Keep it away from doors, windows and air vents to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
TRAVEL – Please use extreme caution when traveling and DO NOT go around or through areas that are marked off by yellow tape or barriers.
RESTAURANTS – All Food Service establishments without power or a generator previously approved by the town must remain closed at this time.
CURBSIDE COLLECTION – Curbside collection of trash and recycling will be delayed one day for the reminder of the week. Collections normally scheduled for Wednesday will be picked up on Thursday and collections normally scheduled on Thursday will be picked up on Friday.
DEBRIS COLLECTION – Curbside Collection of tree debris will be begin tomorrow. The Town will send crews to pick up and/or chip tree limbs that are less than 8 feet in length and up to 8” in diameter. Bagged debris should be placed curbside with your weekly garbage.
BEACHES/SHELLFISHING – The town beaches and recreational shellfishing areas will be remain closed until water quality testing results are within acceptable levels. For updates on beach and shellfishing openings/closures please visit the East Shore Health Department website http://www.esdhd.org/
CHARGING STATIONS – Charging stations are available at the following locations: Branford Fire Headquarters, 45 North Main St.; Indian Neck Fire Station, 9 Linden Ave.; Stony Creek Fire House, 41 School St.; Town Hall, 1019 Main St. There are outlets available outside in each of those locations.